Blog By: Aishwarya Ghumekar
Following are yogasanas which help you lose weight:
1.Ardha Chandraasana or the half moon pose
Benefits: This pose is great to tone your buttocks, upper and inner thighs. The added stretch on the sides of your tummy, help burn off those unsightly love handles and strengthen your core, helps with weight loss.
Avoid this pose if you have digestive disorders, a spine injury or high blood pressure, avoid doing this pose.
- Stand with your feet together.
- Raise your hands above your head and clasp your palms together, extend the stretch by trying to reach for the ceiling.
- Exhale, and slowly bend sideways from your hips, keeping your hands together. Remember not to bend forward and keep your elbows straight. You should feel a stretch from your fingertips to your thighs.
- Inhale and come back to the standing position. Repeat this pose on the other side.
2. Veerbhadrasana 1 or warrior pose
Benefits: This aasana stretches your back, strengthens your thighs, buttock and tummy and helps you lose weight.
Avoid this pose if you have high blood pressure, shoulder, knee or back trouble, please perform this pose under the guidance of a trained teacher.
- Stand with your feet together and hands by your side.
- Now extend your right leg forward and keep your left leg extended backwards.
- Gently bend your right knee so that you get into the lunge position.
- Twist your torso to face your bent right leg.
- Slightly turn your left foot sideways (about 400-600) to give you that extra support.
- Exhale, straighten your arms and raise your body up and away from your bent knee.
- Stretch your arms upwards and slowly tilt your torso backwards so your back forms and arch.
- To get out of this pose exhale and straighten your right knee. Now push off your right leg and come back to your original position. You can use your hands to support you. Do not rush out of this pose; you might injure your back or legs. Repeat this aasana for the other leg as well.
3. Utkatasana or the chair pose
Benefits: It strengthens the core muscles, thighs and tones the buttocks.
Avoid this pose if you have a knee or back injury.
- Stand straight on your yoga mat with your hands in namaste in front of you.
- Now raise your hands above your head and bend at the knee such that your thighs are parallel to the floor.
- Bend your torso slightly forward and breathe.
- Stay in this position for as long as you can. Gently go back to the standing position.
4.Uttanasana or forward bending pose
Benefits: This aasana stretches the hamstrings and puts pressure on the muscles of the abdomen. It also makes the blood rush to your head, helping your body switch from the sympathetic to the parasympathetic nervous system, helping you relax.
- To perform this pose, stand straight.
- Raise your hands from the front to above your head as you inhale slowly.
- Then bend forward completely pushing your buttocks back till your palms touch the floor and your forehead touches your knees. Come up slowly to the standing position.
Want to become a writer at BFY?
send us your resume with a demo article/blog on sports or fitness at