Blog by : Anushka Jain
Alia Bhatt is considered one of the most talented actresses of Bollywood, earning her name and success in only a few movies. Her acting skills are remarkable and so is her beauty. She has curves in all the right places and knows how to flaunt them. But did you know that wasn’t always the case? When she signed her first movie “Student of the Year” with Karan Johar, she was a really chubby teen. She used to weigh 68 Kg and had a ton of extra fat on her. She was not a gym person and neither did she ever compromise her food. But as acting in movies was her dream since she was four, she knew she had to get in shape in order to reach the top. When Karan Johar asked her to lose weight before starting the shooting of SOTY, it hurt her but she took it as a challenge. Her journey started from that very day. She went on a strict diet, worked out like anything. Within three months, she lost 16 Kg. And today, she is a fitness freak with a smoking hot body!
Let us find out how she went from the chubby girl to this fit diva. Here, we will not only discuss her fitness tips but also everything she follows in her fitness schedule – from her diet plan to her work out plan.
There are some things she always follows in order to stay fit:
- Work hard: your goal should always be on your mind. For three months, Alia thought of nothing but wanting to lose 16 Kg. Her dedication, devotion and determination were unyielding. And it was all fruitful. The look on everyone’s faces when they saw her in her perfect curves in SOTY must have been worth it! Working hard is her mantra not only in fitness but also in her career. She shows the same dedication there, and we can already see the results everywhere, can’t we?
- Listen to your body: she always listens to her body in terms of food. She does follow a strict diet plan but she also doesn’t starve herself. Whenever her body feels hungry, she gives it a little something. Whenever she is shooting, she carries tiffin with her that has egg whites, fruits, chicken, stir fried veggies and chaas.
- Skip oil: Oil is your enemy when you are trying to stay fit. So, never include oil in your daily meal. Even in your rotis, add minimal oil or no oil. And you will see the change really quickly.
- Cardio: want to lose extra fat really fast? Do a lot of cardio! Alia does cardio activities 40 to 50 minutes every day. She says if your extra fat doesn’t go away because of your diet, it will quickly burn because of your cardio.
- Proper Rest: Exercising is important but so is proper rest. Alia tell us that if you don’t give your body time to recharge, you will exhaust yourself and end up making your body weak.
- Drink a lot of water: She tells us the importance of water, suggesting us to drink plenty of water in order to stay healthy. It keeps us hydrated, recharges us, is good for the skin etc.
- Proper timing: One of the things she strictly follows is the time of her meals. She has her breakfast, lunch and dinner at proper time. Especially dinner should be had at least 2 hours before dinner for proper digestion.
- No sugar: Sugar is your second enemy when trying to lose weight. She tells us that she has a sweet tooth but she still resists herself from having too much sugar in anything.
- Fibrous food: Alia asks us to give more weightage to fibrous food as it helps in controlling our blood sugar levels. It also lowers cholesterol levels and adds in achieving a healthy weight.
- Exercise: Her last tip tells us to give full weightage to exercise. Set small and achievable goals but don’t take them lightly. Always give your best in any exercise you are attempting. Soon, they will get easy for us and we’ll start enjoying them.
Her fitness tips are unique and useful. But now comes a more important part of her fitness secrets – her diet plans. To keep herself as gorgeous as she is, she has given up her carbs, sugar, oil, junk food etc. But she never starves herself. Instead, she eats eight meals a day.
Let us see how she does that:
Breakfast: she believes in having a rich breakfast. It includes bread toast, cornflakes, a bowl of poha, and an egg white sandwich. Then, she takes her tea or coffee without sugar.
Mid-morning: a glass of vegetable juice and a fruit / an idli with a bowl of sambhar.
Lunch: she takes the Indian lunch – dal, roti and vegetables but without oil. She strictly avoids rice.
Mid-evening: she has any healthy fruit at this time with a tea or coffee without sugar.
Dinner: she has the typical dinner too – roti, dal, vegetables without oil, a small bowl of rice, a piece of chicken breast.
With a diet plan that healthy, how can she not have a body like that? It is a wonder how she is so dedicated to everything she does. But her favourite part hasn’t come up yet – exercising! Working out is the best part of her day. She can’t believe she didn’t use to exercise before. Now, she cannot manage a day without that. Mainly, her formula is a mixture of cardio, weight training, dancing and yoga exercises.
- Work out: Running on the treadmill, weight training, altitude training, beach running, swimming, kick-boxing, dumbbell, push-ups, lateral pull-ups, bicep curls, triceps push down, crunches, back extensions, lunges, and squats.
- Dancing: she loves to dance and spends her time dancing if she is not doing any work out on that day.
- Yoga: Alia is very much fond of doing yoga. She believes it is the healthiest form of exercising. She is mostly inclined towards asthanga yoga. She is very good at it because of her strength and flexibility. She also likes to perform anti-gravity yoga like sirsasana. Other asanas she performs are: chakrasana, Bhujangasana, surya namaskar, pranayama, meditation etc.
Apart from all of these secrets, she also shares with us that it is okay to have a day of weakness. She also sometimes cheats her plans and has her favourite dishes like noodles, aloo fried cooked by her mother or chaat. But after that day, she also makes sure to get back on track the very next day by her detox diet – doodhi, juice, sprouts and lime water.
Alia believes that everybody can be brought to their right sizes and be fit. She also says that being your right body type is the key. It is not about having big biceps or washboard abs. She calls being fit the new sexy! Well, we do agree with her on that!
Even superstars have their moments of weaknesses but they always carry their dedication with them. If you were thinking till now that you cannot have a body like your favourite Badri ki Dulhania, then you’re wrong! After all, even she was just a normal chubby girl with big dreams. She found her way to fitness. You can, too!