Blog by : Zainab Suratwala
Sakshi Malik – Top Indian Female Freestyle Wrestler
Sakshi Malik born on 3 September, 1992, is the Indian wrestler who won bronze medal in 58Kg category at Rio Summer Olympics2016.
Sakshi has got supportive parents, Sukhbir and Sudesh, to thank in encouraging her always in her remarkable career choice. Her father, Sukhbir, is the bus conductor and mother, Sudeh, is the supervisor at the local health clinic. Sakshi grandfather, Badhlu Ram, inspired her to become a wrestler and her training started at the age of 12. Taking up the sport that isn’t meant for the girls, as per conservative Indian mentality, Sakshi and her coach had to face many troubles during their initial stages of national competition career. Sakshi had to fight against sexism as a kid. She wrestled with the boys and her coach Ishwar stood against all protests from locals.
First Training Experience
This 23 year from a village started her first training in wrestling when she was just 12years under the guidance of Dahiya Ishwar at one akhara in Chotu Ram stadium.
Sakshi is only fourth female athlete to have stood at a podium biting glorious medal, after Karnam Malleshwari weightlifter, MC Mary Kom boxer and Saina Nehwal shuttler.
- Sakshi earned her bronze medal in 58Kg freestyle event at Junior World Championships 2010
- She won bout 4 – 1 at World Championships Tashkent 2014, where she played against Sambou Anta of Senegal. But, later got knocked down by Petra Olli from Finland’s. She got bronze medal in 60Kg category at Asian Championships 2015 in Qatar
- Her dedication became stronger with the medal that motivated her to go for gold in 60Kg category at Dave Schultz Tournament 2014. At Glasgow Commonwealth Games 2014, she played against Adeniyi Aminat of Nigeria, and beat her by 4 – 0 in a contest
Awards and Rewards
- Indian Railways also gifted her 60 lakh Rs
- Sakshi was honoured with cash award of Rs. 2.5 crore by Government of Haryana
- She is promoted from the senior clerk to gazetted officer in Indian Railways
- She was honoured with the Rani Laxmi Bai Award by Government of UP awarded with cash prize of around 3.11 lakh Rs.
- For qualifying for Olympics, she got gift of 1.01 lakh Rs. From Salman Khan.
Our Olympic winner Sakshi loves to eat Parantha and dahi Chawal. However, she hasn’t eaten her most liked food from a long time, because of her strict diet. She needs to keep her weight in continuous check when she competes in the weight sensitive sports.
She prefers cow’s milk & her diet cost is over 35,000 to 40,000 Rs. The daily routine for Malik includes 500 sit-ups and training.
For Sakshi, it is important to have good sleep and to spend quality time at home. Her diet includes sprouted food and almonds. Her diet chart includes almonds, milk, sprouted food, vegetables, fruits, soybean, raisins, pomegranate, sweet lime juice and pulses and nonveg food.