BLOG BY DR. SONICA KRISHAN
“To live is the rarest thing in this world, most people just exist” – Oscar Wilde.
I totally concur with these words. We seem to have un-necessarily complicated our lives today. Although, we are breathing , yet we have somehow elapsed the simple principles of living. Here are some simple and realistic ways I could think of that we need to bring into our lives to make our stay on this planet worth living !
Nine Ways To Live Your Life, Not Simply Exist!
Looking outwards in Nature, I could contemplate with this simple and yet highly essential wisdom of just being. Not only does it make sense to enjoy your life in your own blissful realm, but also it is so much relieving that you do not need to act, talk , work and be the person who you are actually not.
How This Came To Mind?
- A rose would lovingly develop and bloom in its own proximity, and would never want to become a lotus flower and in the consequence lose its legitimacy for always.
- When I water the plants in my backyard, I am simply awed by the fragrance of wet mud that these plants seem to confer immediately.
- Also, when the kids rushing off to their school spare a moment to kiss me goodbye uttering, Bye Ma! I find my reward!
- All this is rewarding by ‘Just being” and I am able to receive the reward by ‘Just being’.
- As the maxim goes..’ Be the moon, or be the star. But be the best wherever you are!’
- You can be your best, only if you allow yourself to ‘just be’!
2. Live In Abundance
Are you a compulsory miser? Being a miser can be circumstantial, and also it can be rather habitual. Think of this, when you are restricting yourself from all the joys that you seek, are you being just to your own self?
Give It A Thought
- Why be scared to present yourself with all that you have desired.
- As time goes by, these desires do not last, but mostly leave a small breach in your perception of fulfillment.
- Spending on yourself and your loved ones not only helps them to bask in the glory of abundance, but also flourishes on your being the gratitude you are here to render.
- I was actually a little surprised when a rickshaw puller boasted of purchasing IPL cricket match tickets worth Rs. 5000.
- He would say – ‘At least me and my family will cheerfully get pleasure from those hours in the stadium and I can always work again to recover the amount.
- He mused further that Allah is great and he is there to take care.’
- So, you don’t need to be a spendthrift, but as much you can allow yourself to –
- Live in abundance,
- Breath in gratitude
- And attract His grace!
3. Be Carefree And Be Liberated
Life is too short to be tied in shackles. We tend to surrender to worldly bindings physically, mentally as well as spiritually; and then suddenly one day the unconventional essence of our being simply escapes.
- It has to be kept in mind more often that we are not a body which is having a soul, rather we are soul having a body. The soul is always free and versatile, it has been and always will be.
- Only it is changing clothes as entering new bodies, but its basic love is liberation.
- Life is temporary, then we try to bind ourselves with permanent obsessions.
- We need to learn to allow ourselves to be a little carefree, a little liberated.
4. Keep Regular Watch
Heard the story about the two wolves? One evening an old Cherokee told his grandson about a battle that goes on inside people.
- He said, “My son, the battle is between two wolves inside us all. “
- One wolf is Evil – It is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.
- The other is Good – It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith.”
- The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather: “Which wolf wins?”
- The old Cherokee simply replied, “The one you feed !”
Thus, you need to always keep a regular watch on your thoughts. Practicing meditation has been highly supportive for me to keep the watch on my mind’s projections. This is as I could realize that our worst enemies are our own thoughts.
5. Listen To Silence More Often
Silence and serenity are synonyms. This means if we want peace and composure in our lives, we need to value silence.
What An Experience!
Recently, we went to beautiful, natural spots on our vacation. Although, it was pure nature , away from the hustle and bustle of life. But was it?
Rather, there was so much noise of tourists shouting due to rush, the horse-walas trying to persuade customers, the shrieking horns of vehicles, the screaming of vendors selling their stuff.
We were naturally perplexed.
The beautiful and serene place seemed to be crying for silence.
Then A Thought
- I thought then, if I am so much confounded and affected, what about Mother Nature?
- Whom we have virtually made pathetic by snatching away her right and magnitude of quietness.
- I felt really apologetic and helpless.
- On returning back, there has been news of Natural fury.
- Be silent, and reflect on this for a while – who is to be blamed?
6. Be Enduring And Always Grateful
This is an interesting story.
- One day a construction supervisor from sixth floor of building was calling a worker working on the ground floor.
- But because of construction noise, the worker on ground floor did not hear his supervisor calling.
- Then, to draw the attention of worker, the supervisor threw a ten rupee note from up which fell right around in front of the worker.
- The worker picked up the note, put it in his pocket & continued with his work.
- Again to draw the attention of worker, the supervisor now threw five hundred rupee note.
- The worker did the same, picked the five hundred rupee note, put it in his pocket & started doing his job.
- Finally, Now to draw attention of the worker, the supervisor picked a small stone and threw it on worker.
- The stone hit exactly the worker’s head. This time the worker looked up and the supervisor could finally communicate with the worker.
It Is So Similar
This story goes similarly in our lives. God wants to communicate with us, his children, but we are too occupied with worldly jobs. Then God gives us small gifts and also sometimes bigger ones, but we take these for granted , only thinking that we have been lucky. We hardly take time to understand how and why we have been blessed with the rewards and more often we do not even spare time to be thanking the Almighty. Then when we are hit with some stone, which we call as problems, we look up to Him and try to communicate with God through our prayers and offerings.
The other day when my son recovered from his seasonal fever, I asked him did he remember to thank God for this. He seemed a little surprised saying to me, but mom I am healthy again because of you. ( I being a doctor and had been giving him medicine). I told him then, even as a doctor, all I can do is treat a patient, but to cure is in His hands. We must always bear in mind to thank him for all the troubles that we do not have and also stop complaining for the troubles we have.
7. Rejoice In Your Purpose
Do you have a purpose in life, or are you unknowingly simply treading your way on earth? I believe it is rather mandatory for each one of us to ascertain our purpose of life, and then rejoice in the same. And let this be our own individual take. We cannot compare with and try to familiarize with the ‘purpose of life’ of other fellow-humans. It has to dwell from your own being, and it has to be self-designed. You will more easily discover your purpose, once you are sure about your passion. Discover your passion..and let it unfold into the purpose of your life. As the adage goes – ‘ What I am is God’s gift to me. What I become, is my gift to God’. Discover the purpose of your life, dwell in it sincerely and rejoice. This is your gift back to the Almighty, who has gifted you with the paramount excellence of human birth!
8. Welcome Tough Times
‘Tough Times never last, but Tough people always do!’ Do tough times scare you or are you prepared to face head-on, whatever big or small intricacies life brings forth?
- Remember how when the nail paint tends to dry up, we pour in a little nail-paint remover into the same and it starts working again. Although the nail-paint remover would otherwise remove the nail paint, but at this time, it is providing solution for the nail paint and sets it working.
- Similarly, when the arrow has to move forward, it is first pulled back by the bow; which provides it with forward thrust. When we are occasionally bewildered by tough times, we must understand that these are the precious moments in life, which would in some way sooner or later lead us to emerge as successful entity.
9. Now Or Never
Recently when I had this bad toothache which tormented me through the night, I told my son in the morning that the pain was so bad that I couldn’t sleep the whole night. He thought for a while and reverted back – In that case mom, you should have used the time sitting in meditation as you’re always keen to spare enough time for your prayer schedules (His understanding). I told him to understand the basic need and magnitude of health and fitness.
Make Yourself Strong
This is because as and when you are unwell, you are not physically capable even to sit in meditation / prayer. And thus when we peep into our everyday erroneous diets and lifestyles, every now and then losing stability of our emotional mental frame becomes rather understandable. Apparently, we cannot constantly hold onto our mental peace and thus sooner or later our physical health is at stake.
Therefore, you need to make yourself internally strong and efficient, so as to take charge of your mental state now. Expand the ‘Spiritual‘ you, irrespective to the age you belong. It has to be now, or it could be never.