Blog by: Suryakant Tripathi.
Ayonika Paul was born on 23 September 1992. She is an Indian shooter who competes in the 10 meter air rifle event.
She won the silver medal in the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow. She studied at Swami Vivekananda high school in Chembur in Mumbai.Ayonika Paul was once an excellent swimmer but slowly her interest developed in the rifle shooting. She had earlier won Bronze in ISSF World Cup 2014 in Slovenia.
She has been part of the Lakshya Shooting Club since 2015 training at Karnala Sports Academy, Navi Mumbai training under the guidance of Olympian Suma Shirur in her preparations for Rio 2016
Ayonika Paul has been confirmed by the Selection Committee of NRAI to represent India at the Rio Olympics 2016.
Here are 10 things you might want to know about her:
- Ayonika Paul was born on September 23, 1992 and studied in Swami Vivekananda High School in Chembur, Mumbai.
- She used to be actively involved in basketball, water-polo, skating and dancing and was an excellent swimmer as a kid, but developed an interest in rifle shooting, and continued with that.
- She is currently pursuing engineering in Mumbai and takes her studies and coaching very seriously.
- She has been a part of Lakshya Shooting Club since 2015 and trains at Karnala Sports Academy, Navi Mumbai.
- She has won a lot of laurels for the country in the juniors’ category, and made her announcement to the world by winning the gold in the International Junior Shooting Competition in Munich in 2008.
- She won a silver medal in the 10m air rifle shooting event at the 2014 Commonwealth Games.
- She has also won a Bronze medal in the same event at the ISSF World Cup in the 2014 in Slovenia.
- She is being coached and guided by Olympian Suma Shirur who is herself a specialist in the shooting event for the Rio Olympics.
- She was selected by National Rifle Association of India (NRAI) along with Apurvi Chandela to represent in the 10m air rifle shooting event for India at Rio Olympics 2016.
- She is being supported by OGQ, who are providing her with a sports psychologist and a world-class physiotherapist to help in her quest for Olympic glory.
Want to become a writer at BFY?
send us your resume with a demo article/blog on sports or fitness at