Blog by: Suryakant Tripathi.
Amrit Singh, (Born on Oct 01, 1991), a 23-year old from Patiala, Punjab, is a sensation in Indian Cycling. He was one of the members of the Indian Squad who qualified to represent India for the first time in World Track Cycling Championship held in Australia in 2012.
He started cycling ever since, he was 8 years old and developed his interest towards the sport, while watching the cyclists training every day at the Netaji Subhas National Institute of Sports, Patiala (NSNIS), which was at a few miles away from his house. He first participated in tthe National Championship in the U-12 age category in 2004.
Two years later in 2006, Amrit’s father passed away and as the only child, the responsibility of his family rested upon his shoulders. He works with Railways and takes care of his mother. With his hard work, he has won 34 gold, 11 silver and 3 bronze National and continental medals till now. He is coached by Rajinder Kumar Sharma.
Highlights of his achievements are:
• 2014: Track Asia cup, New Delhi – 1 Gold & 2 Bronze
• 1 Gold in each -National Games Time Trial, Kriein & Team Sprint
• 3 Gold – National Games 2015, Kerala and 4 silver – National Championship
• Represented India in World Track cycling championship held in Australia in 2012
• Represented India twice in Common Wealth Games, twice in Asian Games, thrice in World Cup, 6 times in Asian Cycling Championship and 6 times in Asia Cup.
Want to become a writer at BFY?
send us your resume with a demo article/blog on sports or fitness at