Fat is the one of three major micro nutrients, but fat is generally known for it’s worst effects of causing heart disease and making our belly bulging out and causes obesity, so should we stop consuming facts? And avoid in our diet completely? are we aware of how fat is useful for major functions in our body and how we people are responsible for all the inappropriate consumption of fat and making our own body lethal for diseases. Are you aware of your healthy fat source and how much fat you are consuming
The daily required intake (DRI) for fat is 20% – 35% of the total calorie consumption should come from fat.
The essential function of fat in our body
- Storing and adsorption of Vitamin A, D, E, K.
- It helps in Production of hormones
- Essential for neurological development and brain function
- Act as insulator of our body
- It protects our bodies vital organs
- It is secondary energy source after Carbohydrates
- They protect our body from external shock
- Helps to maintain healthy hairs and skin
HEALTHY AND UNHEALTHY FATS
Now talking about what type of fat to consume. We have two types of fat, one which is healthy and good for our body known as good fats, and other which may cause diseases known as bad fats
Healthy fats include unsaturated fats which may be further divided into two categories
- Polyunsaturated fats (PUFA):- these include omega 6 and omega 3 fatty acids. They are essential fatty acids and helps to lower down bad cholesterol known as LDL (low density lipolprotein) which blocks the vessels and causes heart disease,so it helps preventing heart diseases and prevents type 2 diabetes
Source of PUFA:- eggs, fish/fish oil, almonds, walnuts, peanuts, sesame oil, rice bran, sesame seeds, flax seeds
- Monounsaturated fats (MUFA) :- They can help with weight loss, reduce the risk of heart disease and decrease inflammation.
Sources : same as PUFA include avocado
Unhealthy fats consumption may lead to heart diseases because they increase the bad cholesterol level in our body (low density lipoprotein). There are two types of bad fats
- Trans fats :- blocks the arteries and responsible for type 2 diabetes it sources include milk fat, vegetable oils, fats from meat and chicken
- Saturated fats:- causes cardiovascular diseases and can make obese and sources are same as trans fats
WRITTEN BY – AJAY SINGH RATHOD