Creatine is a substance that is found naturally in muscle cells. It helps your muscles produce energy during heavy lifting or high-intensity exercise.Taking creatine as a supplement is very popular among athletes and bodybuilders in order to gain muscle, enhance strength and improve exercise performance.Chemically speaking, it shares many similarities with amino acids. Your body can produce it from the amino acids glycine and arginine.Several factors affect your body’s creatine stores, including meat intake, exercise, amount of muscle mass and levels of hormones like testosterone and IGF-1.About 95% of your body’s creatine is stored in muscles in the form of phosphocreatine. The other 5% is found in your brain, kidneys and liver (9).When you supplement, you increase your stores of phosphocreatine. This is a form of stored energy in the cells, as it helps your body produce more of a high-energy molecule called ATP.
ATP is often called the body’s energy currency. When you have more ATP, your body can perform better during exercise.Creatine also alters several cellular processes that lead to increased muscle mass, strength and recovery.Creatine is a substance found naturally in your body — particularly in muscle cells. It is commonly taken as a supplement.
Creatine can improve health and athletic performance in several ways.In high-intensity exercise, its primary role is to increase the phosphocreatine stores in your muscles.The additional stores can then be used to produce more ATP, which is the key energy source for heavy lifting and high-intensity exercise.
Creatine also helps you gain muscle in the following ways:
Boosted workload: Enables more total work or volume in a single training session, which is a key factor in long-term muscle growth.
Improved cell signaling: Can increase satellite cell signaling, which aids muscle repair and new muscle growth.
Raised anabolic hormones: Studies note a rise in hormones, such as IGF-1, after taking creatine.
Increased cell hydration: Lifts water content within your muscle cells, which causes a cell volumization effect that may play a role in muscle growth.
Reduced protein breakdown: May increase total muscle mass by reducing muscle breakdown.
Lower myostatin levels: Elevated levels of the protein myostatin can slow or totally inhibit new muscle growth. Supplementing with creatine can reduce these levels, increasing growth potential.
Creatine supplements also increase phosphocreatine stores in your brain, which may improve brain health and prevent neurological disease.
Supplementing with creatine can result in significant increases in muscle mass. This applies to both untrained individuals and elite athletes.Creatine is one of the best supplements for improving strength and high-intensity exercise performance. It works by increasing your capacity to produce ATP energy.
Creatine exhibits no harmful side effects. Though it’s commonly believed to cause dehydration and cramps, studies don’t support this.creatine is one of the cheapest, most effective and safest supplements you can take.It supports quality of life in older adults, brain health and exercise performance. Vegetarians — who may not obtain enough creatine from their diet — and older adults may find supplementing particularly useful.
Creatine monohydrate is likely the best form. Try out creatine today to see if it works for you.