Blog By- Dr Rohit Bahuguna – BFY Faculty
Exercise can help build strong bones and slow down bone loss & will benefit bones no matter at what age you start.For maximum benefit one should exercise regularly Combine low impact strength training exercises with weight-bearing exercises. Strength training helps strengthen muscles and bones in your arms and upper spine
Weight-bearing exercises — such as walking, jogging, running, stair climbing, skipping rope, skiing and impact-producing sports — mainly affect the bones in your legs, hips and lower spine.
Swimming, cycling and exercising on machines such as elliptical trainers can provide a good cardiovascular workout, but because such exercises has low impact, they’re not as helpful for improving bone health as weight-bearing exercises are.
Exercising regularly in childhood and adolescence can ensure that you will reach peak bone density.
Need to participate in weight bearing exercise. For example, walking, dancing, jogging, stair climbing, racquet sports and hiking.
- Do not over do or over stress during exercising.
- Do not sit in front of computer or TV for longer time
- Stabilize/support the joints e.g. OA knee while doing exercise
- Do not hold bad postures during exercises as it may lead to further complications
- Maintain a proper posture while sitting, standing or doing any activity
- Do not walk or run on uneven surfaces
- Do not lift heavy objects
- Take little breaks while exercising
- Avoid sudden sit ups or any exercise that bends your back excessively
- Do not do high impact exercises
- Avoid twisting activities
- Triceps stretch
- Back and shoulder stretch
- Chest stretch
- Calf stretch
- Hams stretch
- Quards stretch
- Shouder blades strengthening
- Hip flexors
- Hip extensor
- Hip abductor
- Pelvic tilt
YOGIC MANAGEMENT OF OSTEOPOROSIS
- Ardha matsyendrasana
- Supta pawanmuktasana
- Supta Udarakarshana
- Chaturanga dandasana
- Ek pada pranamasana
Check on your calcium levels ,do exercises regularly and conquer osteoporosis.