Blog by : Anushka Jain
Six-pack Abs has been stereotyped as ‘only for guys’. But why should boys have all the fun? Nowadays, even girls want to have six-pack abs and rock their own worlds themselves. But the difficult part is to actually get them. Girls usually do not know how to get them, especially when they don’t go to the gym. So, if you are looking for tips to get you really abs fast at home, you are in the right place.
Let us know about some simple exercises that will fulfil your wish.
- Crunches: Crunches are a great way to get abs quickly. Apart from that, it has more advantages like it tones your chest and tightens your breasts; it also tones your back. There are five types of crunches that you can try.
The first one is called: the basic crunch – in this, you lie on your back on a matted floor with your back flat to the ground. You raise your legs to a 60 degree angle while keeping your hands near your temple or crossed on your chest. Slowly, lift your shoulder blades off the ground. When you feel the crunch in your abs, exhale and rest down on the ground. Repeat this as many times as you can.
The second one is called: the hand overhead crunch – in this, do a basic crunch while keeping your arms stretched above your head. Your palms must be crossed at the time you are doing it.
The third one is called: the cross-body crunch – in this, you keep your hands to the side of your head, touching your finger tips to your ears, a little behind your head. Now as you crunch, try to bring your left elbow and right knee together. Then, do the same with your right elbow and left knee. The movement will get easier if you try to bring your shoulder along with your elbow towards the knee.
The fourth one is called: the legs on exercise ball crunch – in this, you have to bring your legs up to a 90 degree angle on a medicine ball rather than bending them on the ground. While doing that, do the basic crunch. Now, come back down and repeat.
The fifth one is called: the decline crunch – in this, you lie on a decline bench and lift your legs as high as you can. That way, you won’t fall off. Then, lie down with your back flat against the decline bench and do the basic crunch. Rest down after a pause and repeat.
- Plank Exercise: The plank exercise has been proven the simplest and most efficient exercise to tone your abs. In this, you get in the prone position – only the tops of your toes and your forearms should be touching the ground. Support your whole weight with your toes and forearms, keeping your body straight throughout. Hold yourself for as long as you can. If you feel this is too easy for a daredevil like you, you can try lifting any of your legs or arms.
- Cardio: Doing cardio is the best way to lose the fat on your abs. Take out at least one day a week, running or cycling an hour on that day. This will complement the other exercises you are doing and get you your abs faster.
- Lift your weight: Lifting your own weight can be tricky. But if you do it right, it can do wonders to your abs. For this, keep two chairs of equal sizes next to each other while leaving your-body space between them. Then, rest your forearms on the hand-rests and pick your legs up off the floor, moving up and down. Make sure you have the right position and that you don’t slip or fall.
- Leg-raises: one more promising exercise for abs is a leg raise. But it is a slightly difficult and goes in steps.
Step 1: firstly, get yourself in the starting position. Lie down on the floor with your whole body flat against it. Then, slide your hands under your hips.
Step 2: now, you gently lift your legs an inch above the ground, letting them hover in a position that they stay parallel to the floor. Stay put until you start to feel a burning sensation in your abs.
Step 3: As you change the position, lift your legs up until they reach a 90 degree angle and your body makes an L shape, letting your knees a little bent.
Step 4: Lastly, when the previous position is successfully reached, lift your hips off the floor. Your feet should be facing the ceiling at this point, your abs contracting. Slowly, bring your legs back to the ground, exhale and repeat the leg raise.
As easy as it sounds, exercising is not the only thing that affects your abs. Your diet and daily habits are too. After all, if you exercise properly but keep eating fats and junk food, the exercises will all go to waste. So, let us know some dos and don’ts of your diet and daily habits while you are trying to get abs:
- Sleep and wake up early, keeping your body as active as you can.
- If you want to have meat, then have lean meat such as: beef, fish, chicken or turkey.
- Take lean protein too: eggs, soybeans etc.
- Do not stay in bed all day. Lying down all day ruins your posture and makes it difficult to get abs.
- Drink a lot of water. Keeping yourself hydrated will do wonders.
- Eat small portions of food at regular interval. If you eat a lot at once, that will lower your chances of getting abs.
- Take antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables: spinach, kale, blueberries, strawberries etc.
- Take unsalted nuts and seeds.
- You can also have whole grains, such as oatmeal or whole-grain pasta.
- Drink green tea every evening. It is one of the best drinks to lose fat.
- Avoid fast-foods at any cost.
- Never eat just before you go to sleep. Try to have your dinner at least 2 hours before going to bed.
- Do not eat rich sauces, ice cream, desserts, carbohydrates, sweets, cakes etc.
- Avoid processed foods, like: sweet breakfast cereals, chips, fish sticks high in sodium.
- Strictly say no to oily food.
- Cut all sugary drinks – even diet coke from your diet. They do not do any good.
Diet and exercise are the two pillars of any kind of fitness you want to achieve. Following only any one of this will not positively affect you in the long-run. So, if you really are serious about getting abs, you need to follow both: the diet and the exercise plan. An hour of exercise everyday should do you good. Just remember to do them right or you can end up hurting a joint or cramping a muscle. So girls, all the best! Show them abs can look even better on your beautiful, feminine bodies!