Alcohol has been around for nearly 10000 years. Fermented beverages have been a part of human civilization for a long period of time. Alcohol has been a topic of debate surrounding is merits and demerits. And a fight to decide whether alcohol is good or bad for you.
We can say that alcohol is like a doctor’s medicine (just an comparison) similarly its difference lies mostly in the dosage.
Alcohol is any organic compound with a hydroxyl functional group is attached to a carbon atom.Alcohol is referred to as primary alcohol ethanol C2H5OH.
Alcohol consumption effects are also dependent on your genes.
First we will define a moderate alcohol use.
Males under the age of 65-upto 2 drinks a day
Females and males(under age of 65)-1 drink a day
1 drinks includes:- Beer:(355 ml)
Distilled spirits(80 proof):(44 ml)
Demerits of excessive drinking:-
- Certain cancer including breast,mouth,throat,esophagus and liver
- Sudden death if you have and existing cardio vascular disease
- Heart muscle damage
- High blood pressure
- Liver disease
- Suicide (may be if you have any stress, depression)
- Accidental deaths
- Brain damage and other issues in unborn child
- It slows down the metabolism. May affect physical performance in sports and fat loss goals.
Now the demerits are associated with excessive drinking.
Merits of alcohol:-
- Reducing your risk of developing and dying from heart disease as moderate alcohol use increases HDL(good cholesterol). 25-40% reduction in risk. But going beyond the moderate amount can actually increase the risk.
- Possibly reducing your risk of ischemic stroke(when arteries to your brain become narrowed or blocked causing severely reduced blood flow)
- Possibly reducing your risk of diabetes. Moderate alcohol use has been linked to better insulin sensitivity to insulin.
It should be noted the merits discussed above can also be obtained my better nutrition (diet) and exercise plan.
If you are already exercising and following a good nutrition plan, cardiovascular health would be much better and even moderate drinking won’t add much benefit to its health.
If you already drink a moderate and responsible amount along with a healthy lifestyle you may continue as long as you do it responsibly.
If you don’t drink and are planning to start just for the sake of its merits, it is advised not to.
It is also possible that starting to drink may cause alcoholism and make a person alcoholic cause physical and mental problems to the drinker and others.