Blog By: Kavitha Iyer.
Brisk Walking – the most overlooked and neglected form of exercise. Because it sounds and looks easy, most of us do not bother to walk and question the effectiveness of walking. But we should seriously give it a thought. Brisk walking is a great form of physical activity for people who are obese, elderly or who haven’t exercised in a long time. Brisk walking is low impact, requires minimal equipment, can be done at any time of day and can be performed at your own pace.
Brisk walking is generally a safe way to exercise. However, doing it correctly is important. Checkout 5 Correct Ways of Brisk Walking below:
- Walk a little initially and then gradually increase the time.
- Warm up and cool down with a slow, gentle walk to ease you up.
- Carry and drink water while you walk, to hydrate yourself.
- Take light, easy steps and make sure your heel touches down before your toes.
- Walk on grass rather than concrete to help absorb the impact if possible.
- Choose walks that suit your age and fitness level.
- You need fresh air with green & clean surroundings. There is no point taking more carbon dioxide than oxygen. Avoid busy roads and traffic hours
- Energy consumption is same no matter what time of day a person walks, so go according to convenience.
- Go on a light stomach. Do not eat an hour before going out for a walk. Fruits or juices are okay.
- Brisk walking means that you can still talk but not sing, and you may be puffing slightly.
- Keep a moderately intense pace about 15 or 16 minutes per mile.
- Dress lightly
- Dressing too warmly can increase sweating and build up body temperature, which can cause skin irritations.
- Wear sunglasses, sunscreen, long sleeves and a hat to avoid sunburn.
- Wrong footwear or walking action can cause foot or shin pain, blisters and injuries to soft tissues.
- Make sure your shoes fit snugly and have appropriate heel and arch support.
If you happen to suffer from any condition, and intend to start Brisk Walking, it is always better to consult your doctor first. Discuss whether you need to take any precautions and follow his suggestions about whether you should go for brisk walk, and also how you should go about it.
For more such articles, download BFY’s app:
Android Users- Click here
iOS Users- Click here
Planning a Career in Fitness? Contact Us : +919323506751 / +912239560529 .
Check out Main Website: www.bfysportsnfitness.com